PPX Student Research Bursary
The Performance and Planning Exchange (PPX) is pleased to announce the creation of a student research bursary. This bursary will support the recipient in conducting his or her masters’ or Ph.D. research through a one-time contribution of $2500.
This award can be used to offset the following research expenses:
- Field work conducted as part of a masters’ or Ph.D. research project, including travel costs
- Materials and software to be used to conduct research activities (for example, analytical software licences, books, journals, electronic or recording equipment, etc.)
- Printing, document preparation, and translation costs for research documents and reports
The PPX student research bursary aims to support the development of scholars and practitioners in the areas of planning, performance measurement and program evaluation by providing them with the necessary funding to support their research projects. It also aims to foster research and innovation in these areas and transfer new knowledge to practitioners.
PPX will fund projects in the following areas:
- Performance measurement
- Results management
- Program and/or policy evaluation
- Public sector management
- Non-profit sector management
The adjudication committee may also consider applications in other areas related to public management, planning and performance measurement. Applicants in other fields of research are encouraged to contact the PPX secretariat before completing their application.
- Be registered full or part time in a Canadian university in a graduate program;
- Describe how the funding will support ongoing research work through a detailed description of the research project;
- Agree to present at the PPX Annual Symposium in the year following the award; and,
- Include a letter of support from a graduate advisor/doctoral supervisor or other faculty member.
Application and Deadlines
To apply, you must send a complete application package to email@example.com. The application package must include the following documents:
- Description of proposed research project, including context, research problem, literature review, conceptual framework and methodology (4 pages max)
- Description of how the funding will be used, with proposed budget (1 page max)
- Transcript (for current degree)
- Letter of support by faculty advisor (1 page max).
All application documents must be submitted in .pdf format, with 12 pt. Times New Roman font and 1.5 spacing.
Review & Decision Process
Applications will be peer-reviewed by a selection panel appointed by the PPX Board of Directors. All decisions are final.
Adjudication criteria include:
- Quality of the proposed project
- Demonstrated contribution of the bursary to the research project
- Educational excellence (grades)
- Faculty support
Successful applicants will be required to sign a letter of acceptance, which states that they will present at the PPX Symposium in Ottawa in the year following receipt of the award. Financial assistance for travel to the Symposium may be provided by PPX but is not guaranteed.
In addition to their presentation at the PPX Symposium, recipients of the student research bursary must submit a brief report (via email) to PPX stating how the funding was used and the extent to which the funding supported the attainment of the student’s research objectives. The report will be provided to PPX no later than one year following receipt of funding.
Questions regarding the PPX Student Research Bursary can be addressed to the PPX Secretariat via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: Research bursaries will be granted directly for the use of recipients, with no allowances for institutional overhead costs.